Home Fires of Tāmaki
- Price $95 including GST per person (minimum 4 pax)
- Departure Time 10am & 1.30pm – will be altered to reflect arrival time (i.e. 2 hours starts from arrival at Bastion Point / Takaparawhau). Other times can also be arranged upon consultation with Tāmaki Hikoi.
- Total Walking Distance Some off trail walking through Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei whenua (land)
- Total Duration Approximately 2 hours
- Requirements Light to medium level of fitness. Bring walking shoes, sunhat, sunscreen, rain jacket, drinking water and camera.
- Notes No wheelchair or walker access. There is no maximum number for a group, however we suggest splitting the group in two if larger than 20 people to ensure a positive experience.
Experience the cultural heart of Auckland, on our 2 hour Home Fires of Tāmaki (Auckland) tour. A short trip from the hustle of the central city, this magnificent whenua (land) is one of Auckland’s most tranquil locations.
Meet our kaiarahi (guide) at the Michael J Savage Memorial, overlooking the spectacular Waitematā harbour. As ahikaa (keepers of the home fire of Auckland), we provide a first-hand experience of the rich history of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei (local tribe), how we practise our cultural traditions and village life in modern day society.
Soak in picturesque 360° views towards Orākei Marae (traditional meeting house), looking across the harbour to Rangitoto Island, Auckland City and beyond. The photo opportunities are limitless.
Explore abandoned barracks and native bush, as you walk through our award-winning regeneration project “Ko Te Pūkākī”, while our experienced kaiarahi shares history and cultural tales of our tribe and Auckland.
Finish the tour with a packed lunch at Orākei Marae or Takaparawhau, with the opportunity to sit with your guide and ask questions, or use the time to take more spectacular pictures.
From NZD 50.00pp
Experience Auckland from Maungawhau (Mt Eden). Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei (host tribe) have been guardians of the area for three centuries. Hear stories of this ancient fortress and see Auckland's iconic sights from the city's highest geographical point.
From NZD 295.00pp
Take part in a ceremony thousands of years old. You will be greeted by one of our Kaiarahi (guides) and welcomed onto Takaparawhau. This is your chance to stand at this sacred place to watch the sun ascend into the Auckland sky as the city awakens.
“Our Maori guide was passionate about sharing information and interested in answering all of our questions. My husband and I felt very...”