Home Fires of Tāmaki Ōrākei
- Price $55 per person (minimum 4 pax)
- Departure Time 10am & 1.30pm – will be altered to reflect arrival time (i.e. 2 hours starts from arrival at Bastion Point / Takaparawhau). Other times can also be arranged upon consultation with Tāmaki Hikoi.
- Total Walking Distance Some off trail walking through Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei whenua (land)
- Total Duration Approximately 2 hours
- Requirements Light to medium level of fitness. Bring walking shoes, sunhat, sunscreen, rain jacket, drinking water and camera.
- Notes No wheelchair or walker access. There is no maximum number for a group, however we suggest splitting the group in two if larger than 20 people to ensure a positive experience.
Experience the cultural heart of Auckland, on our 2 hour Home Fires of Tāmaki (Auckland) tour in Ōrākei. A short trip from the hustle of the central city, this magnificent whenua (land) is one of Auckland’s most tranquil locations.
Meet our kaiarahi (guide) at the Michael J Savage Memorial, overlooking the spectacular Waitematā harbour. As ahikaa (keepers of the home fire of Auckland), we provide a first-hand experience of the rich history of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei (local tribe), how we practise our cultural traditions and village life in modern day society.
Soak in picturesque 360° views towards Orākei Marae (traditional meeting house), looking across the harbour to Rangitoto Island, Auckland City and beyond. The photo opportunities are limitless.
Explore abandoned barracks and native bush, as you walk through our award-winning regeneration project “Ko Te Pūkākī”, while our experienced kaiarahi shares history and cultural tales of our tribe and Auckland.
Finish the tour at Takaparawhau, a significant location in our history with the opportunity to sit with your guide and ask questions, or use the time to take more spectacular pictures.
From NZD 55.00pp
Experience Auckland from Maungawhau (Mt Eden). Hear stories from Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei (host tribe) who have been guardians of the area for three centuries. This is an ancient fortress and Auckland's highest geographical point. (Maximum 20 people).
From NZD 99.00pp
As ahikaa (keepers of the home fire of Auckland), we provide a first-hand experience of the rich history of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei (local tribe), how we practise our cultural traditions and village life in modern day society. (Maximum 4 people)
“Wonderful Jamie, our guide was extremely informative, passionate and knowledgeable. We were told about the history and culture of the...”
A visitor from Quebec