5 Reasons to Experience our Hikoi
- You will meet Auckland's host tribe Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei and experience an authentic Māori cultural experience at Maungawhau (Mt Eden) or Takaparawhau (Bastion Point).
- You will learn about Māori customs and protocols (Tikanga), why we introduce ourselves with our own personal story (Pepeha) and say a prayer (Karakia).
- You will learn about Māori myths, our Māori Gods and why places got their names like Rangitoto, Maungawhau and Waitemata.
- You will see the best views of Auckland, its name in Māori is Tāmaki Makaurau which means "the land desitred by many".
- You will leave as family (whanau) once you have competed your journey (hikoi).
“On our first day in New Zealand we chose to go on a two hour guided walk “Heaven to Earth on Mount Eden” offered by Tamaki...”Thoughtful Traveler, Wisconsin USA
“Our best decision was booking the cultural walking tour on Mount Eden. Jaime was a fantastic guide--impeccably well informed,...”Sandra, Toronto, Canada
“This tour and presentation gives you an opportunity to hear a Maori leader talk about Maori history and about modern life in...”Foodie Lover
“Must do for visitors to NZ and locals alike. Stunning way to welcome the day. Learned a lot about local Maori culture, past...”Visitor, Auckland
“From the minute we met Annette, she engaged our group of 6 with her warm and authentic Maori spirit. Visiting the sacred site...”Visitor, Florida