- Price $295 including GST per person (minimum 4 pax)
- Departure Time Season dependent due to sunrise times. Will be confirmed upon booking.
- Total Walking Distance Some off trail walking through Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei whenua (land)
- Total Duration Approximately 2 hours
- Requirements Light to medium level of fitness. Bring walking shoes, rain jacket and camera
- Notes No wheelchair or walker access. There is no maximum number for a group, however we suggest splitting the group in two if larger than 20 people to ensure a positive experience.
As the sun begins to rise, take part in a ceremony thousands of years old. For Māori, the Rā Karakia ceremony is where the spirit is reconnected to the environment. Dawn is the quiet time when the spirit world quiets and the living world starts to awaken.
You will be welcomed by one of our kaiarahi (guides) onto Takaparawhau. As the sun rises, the call from our Kaikaranga (female caller) and putatara (carved wooden horn) travels across the Waitematā harbour towards Tama-Nui-Te-Ra (the mighty sun). As this is happening, an ancient karakia (blessing) is performed to celebrate the start of the day.
After basking in the light of the new day, one of our Ecology Kaitiaki (guardian) leads you down to our nursery and invites you to acknowledge Papatuanuku (Mother Earth), by planting a native tree (rakau) and experience our award-winning ecology project “Ko Te Pūkākī”. We encourage you to write down your own personal wish or prayer and plant it into the whenua (tribal lands) with the tree connecting you and your spirit with our whenua.
This final component of the ceremony is important, as sharing a meal together raises the sacredness for those who participate in welcoming the sun and acknowledging the Earth. Share breakfast with your kaiarahi in the wharekai (eating house) at the marae (tribal meeting house) before continuing your journey. Leave feeling refreshed both physically and spiritually, and with the knowledge that you carry good fortune throughout your journey of New Zealand.
From NZD 95.00pp
Experience the cultural heart of Auckland, on our 2 hour Home Fires of Tāmaki (Auckland) tour. A short trip from the hustle of the central city, this magnificent whenua (land) is one of Auckland’s most tranquil locations.
From NZD 50.00pp
Experience Auckland from Maungawhau (Mt Eden). Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei (host tribe) have been guardians of the area for three centuries. Hear stories of this ancient fortress and see Auckland's iconic sights from the city's highest geographical point.
“Must do for visitors to NZ and locals alike. Stunning way to welcome the day. Learned a lot about local Maori culture, past and present,...”